1. CoverageThis policy covers how the Melissa Data Corporation (“Melissa Data”) treats personal information that Melissa Data collects and receives, including information related to customer past use of Melissa Data products and services. Personal information is information about customers, potential customers, Melissa Data website users, and others who may provide information that is personally identifiable, such as, name, address, email address, or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available. This policy does not apply to the practices of entities that Melissa Data does not own or control or to people that Melissa Data does not employ or manage.
2. Personally Identifiable Information Collection and General UseMelissa Data may gather information related to the use of its products and services, registration of a user account on the Melissa Data website, or in the course of standard business practices. Personal identifiable information (“PII”) is collected from such parties only after obtaining consent, which is obtained when such parties are prompted for information when requesting product information, downloading a trial version of a product, registering a new user account, registering a product, purchasing a product or service, or contacting customer support. Melissa Data may collect usage statistics to enable Melissa Data to improve user experience and allocate internal resources.
Purchasing Melissa Data products or services requires a customer to provide certain personal information and enter into a License Agreement. Nothing herein is intended to modify the terms in such a License Agreement.
3. Information Sharing and DisclosureMelissa Data does not rent, sell, or share personal information that is provided to it under Section 2, except when Melissa Data has obtained explicit permission, or under the following circumstances:
4. Information Collected During Data Processing
Information transmitted by users to the Melissa Data servers as part of data processing functions of its products or services is retained only to the limited extent necessary to complete the associated processing functions of the products or services.
5. User Account Information Use
Melissa Data reserves the right to send certain communications relating to its products or services, such as service announcements, administrative messages, feedback requests that are considered part of routine technical support procedures.
Melissa Data stores data at rest with 128 bit encryption to protect and secure it and takes appropriate steps to protect personal data from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, whether in transmission or storage. All personnel are trained on the appropriate use of PII and they are retrained yearly with advances in personal security and best practices.